Saturday 12 October 2013

When it's good to spend a little bit...

We're in the middle of making the most expensive purchase of our lives together at the moment, and every penny counts. We're being careful about what food we buy and how we eat and ration it, and we're turning down invites to go out every weekend in order to save on petrol, refreshments, entry to things, etc. This means becoming somewhat of a hermit though, and that's not a lot of fun!! If I'm going to spend my weekends at home then I need to be kept busy. Thankfully there are some amazing bloggers and craft forums on the internet that keep me amused for hours, seeing what other people are making and upcycling in their spare time, just for the fun of it. I've got loads of ideas and I want to try my hand to as much as possible... but it still doesn't beat the feeling I get when I really get my teeth into a new quilting project.

We went out this morning to pick up a few things we needed, and Tom took this last opportunity before we move and really do need to watch every single penny to go and buy himself some new threads. He doesn't buy clothes like I do - it's more an annual event for him! That's why he spent a little today, but he was careful with what he chose to make sure it'll last him until next year!

Before we headed home to a cosy, warm flat and a cup of tea, I went to spend my voucher in Patchwork Corner, which is a shop dedicated to all things quilting in Hemel Hempstead. Click HERE to see more about them and where they are. They put on various different levels of quilting courses, all run by their shop staff who are well seasoned quilters. The shop is a treasure trove - amazingly beautiful bolts of fabrics and tray upon tray of fat quarters to chose from. I was going to spend my £25 voucher on a handful of those, but then I remembered that a big issue I have is the cutting and measuring of my fabric, especially cutting up squares. The lady in the shop was kind enough to show me how you actually use a long ruler, and how it's even easier when you have a large self-healing cutting board...
I couldn't resist!! They're not cheap - both £18, so the two together cost more than my voucher, but it was worth it. This afternoon I have finally made good headway on a project for my Nan for Christmas, and the whole cutting up and measuring business was TEN TIMES EASIER with my new toys!

The way I see it, yes I'm meant to be saving my money but I can't sit at home and veg out whilst I don't go out!! I have to do something productive, and if it's making something for someone else to love and enjoy, then it's a worth while investment when buying the tools that will make that much easier.

Speaking of quilted goods, how are you all keeping warm now the weather's drastically changed??! Brrrrr!!!

BB xx

No comments:

Post a Comment