Sunday 27 October 2013

Simple Sweet and Sour

I'm 4 days away from payday, and you can tell just by looking in our fridge! Old Mother Hubbard etc. We popped out to Asda yesterday for some essentials, and I remembered a really quick, really cheap and really tasty dinner idea a good friend of mine told me to use back when we were living on £2 a day last year. 
Chinese is a firm take away favourite for us, but even when we are able to afford it as a treat, I never have the sweet and sour dishes as I find the sauce is too thick and sweet, even for me. I know on the face of it using plums in a savoury dish might seem a bit odd, but once they start to soften and the juices mix with the honey, the sauce is the nicest sweet n sour sauce you've ever had! I lick the plate every time!

1. Halve one or two red peppers so that they stand as pepper 'cups', deseed and take out the white bits inside. Place on a baking tray and give a quick spray of Frylight (or drizzle with oil if you aren't watching you weight!)
2. Halve and stone one or two nearly-ripe plums, keep the skins on. Quarter them and stuff them into the pepper cups. On average I find that each pepper cup can hold about half a plum.
3. Spray with Frylight and then sprinkle on salt, pepper, garlic seasoning and a little pinch of mixed herbs. Then drizzle about a teaspoon of honey over the cups.
4. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes at 180 degrees. Take them out after this, sprinkle with a little grated cheese (optional, but I like it) and stick them back in until the peppers are visibly starting to blacken.
5. Carefully remove from the oven making sure not to spill any of the juice!! Serve with vegetables or rice to make it feel like a chinese.
You will want to mop up the sauce at the end! Alternatively, mix in with the rice. SO TASTY! A really cheap and low fat dinner. I've sat and eaten it with my blanket over my lap, in preparation for the storm that's coming our way... scary times!

BB xx

No comments:

Post a Comment