Friday 25 October 2013

You KNEAD to try this!!

Knead... KNEAD?! Like I meant 'need' but as it's all about bread, I said... knead?? Yeh.
I apologise.

I'm off to see my best mate Al tomorrow and she's making homemade courgette and red pepper soup. What a star bar! Y'know what goes well with soup? Fresh bread. What kind of bread? Super simple, super tasty sourdough loaf, that's what.
I have tried this recipe a number of times now, and it ticks all the boxes: It can be made with store cupboard essentials. It's messy to make, which brings out the kid in all of us! It's speedyspeedyspeedy fast! And it tastes absolutely amazing, especially when it's nearly cooled.

The recipe is one of the wonderful Jack Monroe's (see the link to her page on the right...) and you have to try it when you get a spare hour one lazy, winter weekend... and have it with soup!!
You will need: 200ml milk, 200g s/r flour, 1 tsp Bicarb of Soda (I ran out and use baking powder instead)
and 2 tbsp lemon juice.
1) Mix the milk and lemon juice together in a jug and set aside to allow to curdle.
2) Meanwhile, mix the dry ingredients together. Make a well in the middle, and pour in most of the milk and lemon mixture.
3) Use your hands! It's meant to be sticky and it's meant to end up looking more batter than dough-like. Don't play with it too much - lumps are OK and it doesn't need to be really smooth.
4) Pour into a greased loaf tin and bake for 40 minutes at 180 degrees C in a fan oven. You'll know it's cooked when a knife pulls out clean and if you tap the bottom of the loaf and it sounds really hollow.
It's soooo tasty. I also added a pinch of salt to mine as I love that freshly baked salty flavour you get. I hope this will go well tomorrow, as we're going to need warming up - torrential rain and wind on the way!! WHOOP.

BB xx


No comments:

Post a Comment