Saturday 7 September 2013

Scrubbing Up and Smoothing Down

It's DEFINITELY Autumn. It's getting colder, and even though the sun was out today I had to wear a jumper whilst I did all this DIY stuff! Boo!!
Anyway... Kind of late, but I was looking at my outdoor table and chairs the other day and realised how tired and in need of some loving they needed. I've had them two years and they've never been oiled or varnished. It's taken me over two days, but here's what I did to make sure that they look pretty and inviting NEXT summer... when the heat comes back!!

You need:
Wooden outdoor purpose furniture
Sandpaper
Wood oil
Paint brush
Lint-free cloth
Gloves (optional)
SUNSHINE!!!

1) Sand down your furniture. I used medium strength sandpapers, but probably could have used the next strength upwards. Make sure you get in all the nooks and crannies so that the oil covers its consistently.

2) Dust off any dust from the furniture with your cloth and make sure it's as clean a surface as possible. Using as thin a coat as possible, begin oiling your furniture with the brush. You may wanna wear gloves for this as the oil STINKS! And it's mega sticky too. Try not to let any drips run and spread it as thinly as possible. You may need to give it 2-3 coats depending on the final colouring you desire, leaving an hour or so between each to allow them to dry.
3) Et voila! As simple as that! It will need re-oiling about once a year depending on the exposure to the elements your stuff has. It lasts longer than varnish and it doesn't peel like varnish can either, which is good. It should also strengthen the wood too.


Just need Summer back now, and that way I'd have half a chance of enjoying them... D'OH.

BB xx

No comments:

Post a Comment