Friday 6 September 2013

It's the berry, berry, little things...

One thing I'm going to miss when we move out of our little nest is the freebies we get from my wonderful landlady and landlord from time to time. They spend all year long tending to a wonderful garden that they grow vasts amounts of fruit and veg in around this time of year. There's three apple trees, tomatoes, strawberries, green beans, two types of potatoes, courgettes, broad beans, onions, garlic, raspberries and then also wild blackberry bushes that line their driveway. It's an oasis of fresh produce that keeps them going throughout most of the winter months too. They always have surplus, and they offer it to us when it's there. This week alone I've had a whole cucumber (better than the shops, and spikier too!) tomatoes that have been roasted for plenty of dinners and sweet red onions. I admire the amount of hard work that goes into it all, and am very grateful they are willing to share the fruits of their labour with us, when we already pay so little to live here!
Yesterday when the sun was out, I took a tuppawear box to the blackberry bush outside and filled it with fat ripe berries. Sally then allowed me to take some raspberries from their bush, and I was amazed how sweet they tasted. I was thinking I might make a crumble, but instead I looked to my latest Slimming World magazine, and decided to make this instead...

Blackberry (And additional raspberry) meringue roulade:
Pre-roll... VERY scary!
Then the final product:
I'm going to dinner at my parents tonight, and they're cooking a Weight Watchers dinner (ooooo the main competitor against SW!) so I'm bringing this along to show them what SW can produce too!
The best thing is, all I needed to buy was the Quark that makes the filling. My berries, which come to £2-3 a punnet in the shops, were absolutely free. And that's MEGA tasty :)

BB xx

No comments:

Post a Comment