Tuesday 3 January 2012

"I can do this myself!!"

Two months before Christmas 2011, and my partner Tom and I were doing some extremely organised Christmas present shopping in St Albans, Hertfordshire. That same month, my parents had just embarked on a big adventure of their own, and had taken on the lease of a pub in Tring called 'The Black Horse' (www.facebook.com/The-Black-Horse) and as a result were rushed off their feet getting to grips with that. Originally, my Mum had sensibly suggested that the family create a Secret Santa this year so that no one had to spend loads, and also because herself and the other family members she had roped in to helping her and Dad work the pub, would have no time at all to go out and do mountains of shopping. I thought, fantastic! I have no money this year anyway!
However, a week later, she phoned and said she didn't like that idea and instead wanted everyone to buy for everyone. Hence, St Albans.
In an unnamed shop, I picked up a beautiful black felt throw cushion with a number of brightly coloured buttons scattered over it. "This'll be nice for Charlotte", I said, admiring it. I then saw the price, and disgustedly threw it back on the pile. It isn't that I begrudge paying good money for a nicely made soft furnishing, but I was on a budget here, people!! 
"I can do this myself, I mean, how hard can it be?!" I said... 

Exactly.

On the way home we stopped in Needlecraft in Hemel Town Centre and I spent an extortionate amount of money on a big bag of mixed buttons. Since then, I didn't look back: I made 3 beautiful cushions for my Mum, Grandma and Charlotte, and the whole project cost less than it would have to buy three from a shop. And I had buttons left over. Joy.
And that's where it began: button's saved my Christmas, and got me thinking that this money-saving thing wouldn't be as hard as I thought.

I created this blog to let the world wide web audience read and see two things:

1. How can you live on £2 a day?
2. Button Brown's frugal gifts!! (shameless advertising, in other words.)

Charlotte's velvet button cushion, complete with old earrings of mine!


Gool's applique bird and sequin cushion


Mum's applique butterfly cushion

No comments:

Post a Comment