Sunday 19 February 2012

Boring Sunday, sooo....

Hello y'all,
I'm midway through creating another cushion design, harking back to the originals where I use a hell of a lot of buttons! Photos and the finished creation still to come.
I've recently moved things around my flat a bit and have managed to clear out an entire big basket to put my rapidly growing collection of sewing stuff and rags in to keep organised, so as to get them off the living room floor. It makes looking for thread, or buttons, or fabrics a lot easier:

Anyway, whilst doing the cushion I put on 'How To Make An American Quilt' which is this terrible, TERRIBLE movie with Wynona Ryder in it. There is some references and scenes with lots of old women working around a table making a spectacularly dull but albeit impressive quilt, but other than that it's mainly about her love life. However, it did get me inspired to just try some patchwork. So from an old t-shirt, an old skirt, and two other rags I adopted from Tom's Grandma, I put together my first EVER 4 patches:

They're a little skewed, and I'm not sure they'll make anything impressive, possible a cushion...? I need some tools before I can make a real go at it, but the use of the iron and the fabric pen really helped. I cut some more squares to see if I can piece it together. The other massive problem I have is I don't own a sewing machine: I borrowed my landlady's today but it's old and it kept chewing up loads of thread. I'm going to look on Ebay later to find a bargain.
Can anyone recommend a good beginner's patchworking/quilting blog I could follow next time?

BBxx

No comments:

Post a Comment