Wednesday 26 February 2014

Something Old, Something New

Only one month and fifteen days until our wedding!! 
It's coming around so quickly, and all the bits and pieces are now finally coming together. We've been busy gathering things for the day and making stuff, but I don't want to put all of it up here as otherwise I'll spoil the surprises for those going! I am, however, prepared to just show you all what I've come up with for my bridesmaids to carry all their essentials in on the day.
Charly and Alex are two of my oldest, bestest friends from secondary school, and will be keeping me calm on the day! Alex married last year, and Charly and I were honored to be bridesmaids to her also. We had these clutch bags on the day, which compliment Alex's purple thistles and white roses theme in our flowers:
It's a nice clutch, and a good size. But I own nothing cream and can see very few occasions when I'd use it again. I've been looking for clutch bags for the girls on the day, but wondered whether we might be able to give these a second lease of life by including my peacock feather theme. The girls have white roses in their bouquets also, so it should compliment it perfectly.

First I removed the flowers, which came off without too much effort. There was a lot of glue residue though, so the peacock feather needed to cover some of that up.
Cut your feather with enough of the stalk remaining so that the glue has something to bond to.
AWESOME TIP: To make your feather look extra beautiful and fanned out, simply boil your kettle and hold the eye of the feather over the steam. It will open out and look gorgeous!

Add a dab of all-purpose, extra strong glue to the front of the bag and position the feather to your taste. In this case, I needed it to cover the old glue, which the fan of the feathers does beautifully.
Then get out your BUTTONS!!! (Because this wouldn't be a Button Brown crafty-make without them!!) I've picked out three smallish buttons that compliment the colours in the feather's eye. Dab on your glue and press them slightly so that they bond with the feather and bag.
And that's basically it! It was that simple! Something Old transformed into Something New, which cost me absolutely nothing. Peacock feathers can be quite expensive to buy from shops, but I got these smaller 'craft' bunches from Ebay for a competitive price for 100 of them. Worth checking it out.

I have one more of these to make and then I can put them away into my Wedding Bits Box. I have not one, not two, but THREE fabulous hen parties organised for next month, so I will no doubt be back with more little projects involving feathers before then!

Until then, stay happyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!

BB xx







No comments:

Post a Comment